the !hwei construct: A Social Pastime

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Social Pastime

as requested -

Test and tried: The HERD phenomenon.
a chronicle, dedicated to the rogue, as presented herein,


"Why don't we walk up this stairway, then exit at the third floor?"

"But isn't the classroom on the fourth?"

"Yea, but I bet that if we exit on the third, those behind us would simply follow"

"Unless - "

I turned back: about 5 of them, chatting among themselves. totally oblivious. unaware of plans being made at the front where I am at.

Good - seems highly favourable. Engrossed in conversations, I'd think they are only aware of their immediate surroundings, i.e. one another/ whoever is talking.

Turning back, I saw that we are just onto the second landing.

Have to make a decision quick - real quick. Alright, alright. It should be fine and fun. Make it smooth; make a conscious purposeful act appear as an ordinary and natural move, no, i mean process. One last snapshot at my peripheral vision, and a last reassurance from my eardrums - of the vivid chatter and disoriented footsteps - and its decided.

"Alright...I, too, think they would blindly follow. Especially so, considering that they even headed off in the wrong direction just now."


A nod, characterised with a roguish grin. The (cheeky) affirmation. We flowed out of the third floor exit. The shepherd and the sheep. Three quarters of us have already gotten through, not a single bewildered look. A success!


But then I thought, that wouldn't be fun if no one took notice at all. I didn't want no one to realise, neither did I want someone to realise.


At this very moment, stuck in stalemate, the game ended abruptly. And, Thankfully. Like the desired nuke at an impasse. The last guy, yes truly the very last guy, just after stepping across the door-frame questioned. A shepherd in a sheep disguise. It was both a resignation and relief .. the 'at last' feeling.


The rest of the events, you can probably already weave by yourself - back into the stairwell, and up to the fourth level, and into the correct classroom. Duh!


-------------------------

I'm bored (evidently so). I am one who is always amazed at such contingencies. Despite the immorality and lack of consent (of the 'subjects'), these social experiments bring some colour into my greyscale reality. You already wouldn't want to know about the others, would you?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's the most fun thing to do when you're leading... and you can repeat this for a few times if they don't notice its the same people who are leading them the wrong way... hehe

May 22, 2008 at 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home